Words that flow...

Words and images - powerful elements of our everyday life. Most of the time we take them for granted, but sometimes something happens to make you aware of how important they are... and how thankful you are to have the opportunity to use or appreciate them. Here lies some of my words and pictures (which are untouched apart from cropping, unless I've said otherwise) - Please add your words to mine, and leave a comment. Thanks for visiting!

12 December 2010

Peace #7


"I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

~Helen Keller


This is one of my favourite quotes, along with one by Anita Roddick (Founder of the Body Shop)
"If you think you're too small to be effective,
you've never been to bed with a mosquito"


and this one on a stone outside Oxfam Headquarters:

"Many little things done by many little
people
will change the face of the World"

I've quoted them before, and I'll probably quote them again, because I so strongly believe that, though working together is how things get achieved, there's always someone somewhere who has to start the work.

Where peace is concerned, I have read many a post being cynical about change. Of course it's not going to happen just because someone puts up a post asking for peace. Of course it's not going to happen if 200 or 2000 put up a post asking for peace at the same time. But how about 20 thousand? or 2 million? Would that begin to make a difference? It might. Especially if some of those involved have a louder voice than others. It depends who's asking.

And so long as there are those in the world willing to ask for it, no matter how futile that might seem, then there's a chance the people who can alter laws and who can make things happen will hear their voices. Though those people might alter the laws and make things happen, they are the hands and the arms of the voices. Without people speaking out, there will be no change. Ever.

I read another quote today. Freedom will never be freely given by opressors. Freedom always has to be taken by the oppressed.

As a worldwide population, we are oppressed by the very people we chose to represent us. We put them in power because it is a democracy, and we believe they will do as the majority want, but they don't. If they did, we would have had peace a long time ago.

So. I am one voice. I ask for peace. I join others who ask for peace. I am cynical about whether it will come in my lifetime, but I have to try...for myself, my children, and their children. If our generation don't try, then we leave it to our children, and they would be starting from the beginning. If we start now, then if we don't achieve the goal, our children can continue where we leave off...and generation by generation we will get closer [though I hope it won't take that long!]

It's always worth a try. Always.

So, a waste of time? No. Never!

© Annelisa Christensen 8:55 pm

Like the Post? Do share with your Friends.

13 Comments:

At December 13, 2010 2:56 pm, Blogger Akelamalu said...

Great quotes m'dear and I love your words too. x

 
At December 22, 2010 3:48 am, Anonymous nelson said...

Oh no, Annelisa, never a waste of time! We need one little candle and the light will be passed on!

I love the quotes! esp the "mosquito" one - made me laugh! But all the things you said are true, esp when you said that the people we choose to represent us are the very ones who oppress us. That is very true back home in the Philippines.

I like what you write. Keep writing!

 
At December 23, 2010 4:08 am, Blogger Kate said...

A little bit of love was left for you...

http://www.recommendeddailydose.com/?p=7073

 
At December 23, 2010 3:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words are so true! It very well may not be in our lifetime, but our contribution builds the foundation toward ever lasting peace and unity in a brighter world for the future. Absolutely never a waste of time!

 
At December 23, 2010 5:02 pm, Blogger Annelisa said...

Thanks, Akelamalu and Nelson...Would you believe, I have carried those two quotes (magazine cut-outs) around for about 30 years?!! I cut them out in my teens, and stuck them to my wall wherever I went (and I have been to many new homes). It was only a few years ago I laminated them because they were so worn out, and ripping at the corners. They are my constant reminder that I should do what I can, that only I have the power to do what I can (everyone else only has the power to do what they can)...(I like the idea of passing the candle on, Nelson)

Schindler knew he couldn't save everyone, but that didn't stop him trying to save who he could...

Kate - thank you for the mention on blog...I'm very honoured :-)

one heart - I look at my four children, and how well they've turned out, and I hope that some of their good character is down to how I've brought them up...and I hope their generation will bring their own contributions to the ongoing quest for peace!

 
At December 23, 2010 7:02 pm, Blogger Signs and Salvage said...

Hello There!! Thank you for looking for me & finding me on fb!! I am on vacation mode onEtsy until the new year...THANK YOU so much for your sweet words about my signs!! Happy Holidays to you & yours!!

Take Care,

Kristin

 
At December 23, 2010 7:02 pm, Blogger Signs and Salvage said...

ps...your blogs are really cool!!!

 
At February 14, 2011 4:25 am, Anonymous AngelBaby said...

I love your blog, the music, the picture and the post are just awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby

 
At June 03, 2011 8:36 pm, Blogger gusDon said...

A Good Quotes, life is always having a contradiction... Helen Keller was a great person!
I got the inspiration after reading...

 
At June 29, 2011 2:50 am, Blogger Luma Rosa said...

Where's, Annelisa? Disappeared after Blog Blast for peace!! Sinal life of!!

 
At August 31, 2011 7:51 am, Blogger Kate Sheehan-Finn said...

Fantastic quotes and great words from you too. I echo the sentiments.
http://wordsdropoutoftime.blogspot.com/

 
At October 12, 2011 9:04 am, Blogger luckmey said...

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.rolex replica

 
At November 24, 2011 12:15 pm, Blogger tubby3pug said...

What a lovely inspirational blog you have. Thankyou so much for checking out my dog blog and complementing our picture!

urban hounds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home